Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Day In the Life: Aug. 15, 1989

Aug. 15, 1989 (Ula is 2 months and 5 days old)


12:30 a.m. I go to sleep with Ula on my chest, since she won't calm down in the crib.

3:00 a.m. We attempt to nurse in bed because I'm tired and don't want to get up.

3:40 a.m. We get up.

4:15 a.m. Ula throws up.

4:30 a.m. Ula has the hick-ups. I start pumping breast milk again.

4:47 a.m. Ula is wide awake, but I put her back in the crib anyway.

4:50 a.m. I go back to bed.

5:28 a.m. After Ula starts crying and breathing heavy, she ends up back in bed with us.

6:30 a.m. Ula starts gassing.

7:00 a.m. The alarm goes off and Jasper is so disoriented that in his attempt to stop the noise, he turns on and off the light. Finally he finds the alarm clock.

8:00 a.m. We had all gone back to sleep, but Ula wakes up and wakes both of us up. "I just invented a new camera. It's 45 inches long and only 2 inches high. It's not much good at portraits, but it's sure great for panoramics," Says Jasper.

8:20 a.m. The tape player is blaring "I Like Them Big and Stupid". Ula is asleep in the swing. Jasper is showering.

8:29 a.m. Jasper cuts himself shaving, repeatedly (in the original journal this is transcribed from "repeatedly" is written in Jasper's handwriting)

8:36 a.m. Ula is awake again. Diaper change and feeding time.

8:40 a.m. Jasper leaves for class.

9:04 a.m. Ula finishes her bottle and gets her vitamins.

9:10 a.m. My turn to shower.

9:33 a.m. Pumping equipment and bottle nipples are put on the stove to boil.

9:37 a.m. Ula takes a bath.

9:58 a.m. I start working on fixing brunch.

10:07 a.m. Ula starts falling asleep in her chair, sitting in the kitchen doorway. "Life on Mars" plays on the tape player.

10:16 a.m. Ula starts fussing and gets moved to the swing.

10:49 a.m. The man shows up to change the locks on the apartment door (my purse with my keys was stolen last week). He also fixes our cracked toilet seat. Ula's awake and making grunty noises.

11:03 a.m. The man leaves, then comes back because he has left me one too many keys. Back to making brunch.

11:26 a.m. Brunch is served (blueberry dumplings with sour cream and sausage).

11:27 a.m. Jasper is home.

12:16 p.m. We leave to go to Ula's doctor's appointment in Elgin.

12:47 p.m. We arrive at the doctor's office and find it is locked for their lunch break.

12:52 p.m. I call my mother to tell her we will be stopping by later.

1:10 a.m. We get called into an examining room at the doctor's office.
Ula now weighs 10 pounds, 10 ounces.

1:45 p.m. Went to the bank to make a deposit to cover the check we just wrote at the doctor's office. Raining heavily.

2:02 p.m. Left the bank. The rain is letting up.

4:00 p.m. Arrive home after spending time with mother.

4:20 p.m. Jasper leaves for work. Ula gets fed and has her diaper changed. It is no longer raining.

4:30 p.m. I can no longer keep my eyes open.

5:30 p.m. I'm still awake because Ula keeps fussing.

6:30 p.m. I've slept for about 15 minutes. Ula is hungry, so I get up to feed her.

7:00 p.m. Now I'm too hungry to go back to sleep. Dinner time. Ula is finally asleep.

7:26 p.m. Ula is awake again and just spit-up on me.


7:51 p.m. The stew is defrosting in the microwave. Ula is asleep in the swing. It's time to start a load of laundry (diapers and baby clothes).

7:59 p.m. I asked the kids, out by the door, if while they were outside they had seen my purse anywhere.

8:03 p.m. There is a knock at the door. A girl hands me my checkbook. She says they found it in her little brother's closet among his toys.

8:17 p.m. Ula keeps waking up.

9:00 p.m. I finally get to have a bowl of stew. I sew a rag doll's arm in between bites.


9:30 p.m. The laundry is done. There were two pairs of men's striped bakini briefs in with Ula's diapers. I looked in the drier before I threw the clothes in. Suppose maybe it's a statement by the two hispanic men who were doing laundry when I went to put the clothes in the drier?

9:43 p.m. Back to sewing. Ula is asleep in her chair.

10:30 p.m. Time to pump.

10:51 p.m. Back to sewing.

11:24 p.m. I stop sewing and go brush my teeth.

11:30 p.m. I lay down in front of the t.v. to wait for Ula's next feeding and watch an old Jane Fonda movie, "A Doll's House".

12:00 a.m. Jasper is still at work, Ula's still asleep, the movie is dull, and is being turned off. The day is over.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment